The Apocalypse--A Revelation ... Chapter Twenty-Two (first draft)

The Apocalypse--A Revelation ... Chapter Twenty-Two (first draft)


https://allpoetry.com/story/13558376-The-Apocalypse--A-Revelation-...-Chapter-Twenty-One--first-draft--by-Lucretia-Mccloud

After her mom, Kim
Sabrina padded quickly in tattered slippers
clutching tightly to front of floral robe

out of her bedroom
down dimly lit hall
in shadow

photos of various rice paddies
lined a slightly cracked wall

workers wading
backs bent maybe till twilight at will.

Sabrina, until now,
never questioning if any of those women were ancestors
long ago fielded.

Also, wondered why Kim's playing hooky from work
when thought: She was on call today...doesn't she always claim, "Broke."

Yet, these questions aside
at the dong of a stroke of 6:00 am.

Headed into dad's library
causing each of their throats to choke up a bit.

Then settle themselves before the fireplace
before either of them spoke.

Already assembled a tray filled with tea pot, cups, cucumbers sandwiches and seaweed snacks

prepared for a long discussion?
Sabrina wondered.

So curled up in her dad's favorite seat
a little anxious to begin.

Saying nothing
so as not to throw Kim's conversation off track.

Kim's back to Sabrina
trembled a bit.

But she turned around swiftly
to permit Sabrina a glimpse of her sweet smile

speaking again for the first time in minutes.

Psalm 98:7-9 she quotes:

"Let the sea thunder and all that fills it,
The earth and those dwelling in it.

Let the rivers clap their hands;
Let the mountains shout joyfully together

Before Jehovah, for he is coming to judge the earth.

He will judge the inhabited earth with righteousness

And the peoples with fairness." This is where her voice broke.

Querida, it's been a long while
I've memorized any verse.

For years I'd believed myself, my family 
even culture
cursed.

When my teacher read me this scripture
I wanted to weep,

but decided instead to rehearse and rehearse
this for my mighty river Mekong so vast and so deep.

A sweet memory weaving through six Asian countries,

once to me felt dead
after removing it for sanity
from my heart and my head."


Kim sat down at the base of Sabrina's curled feet

then began a history of Sabrina's dad
replete with all sadness and cruelty shown Vietnamese mothers and children bled

not swift enough for fleet.

Born high in the Himalayas, the mighty Mekong burst forth as with child cascading down mountain slopes

surging through deep gorges
miles upon miles

with multitudes fed
downstream.

Mekong. The very lifeblood of Vietnam. Irrigating fields and rice paddies. Enriching them with precious silt, enabling farmers to grow three crops of rice annually.

Vietnam. The world’s second-largest exporter of this popular staple, surpassed only by Thailand.

"All this I made myself forget
when I fled to Brazil.

That's when your papa became my support.

He saw me; felt shame. Remembered his agonizing blame

for making my Mekong bleed frequently deep red.

Asked me to forgive him by marrying him.
So gladly his wife I faithfully became

until you, my querida, Sabrina
lovingly came home
to my new family you'd forever belong.

Over the years
with your papa I fought

when he suddenly
the bible wanted you to be taught.

I'd believed God non-existent
after the war that was wrought.

But he insisted:
"This is what we ought to do.

It makes sense.
We just must follow through."

But here is where I stubbornly refused.

Made his life miserable.
Him tried to confuse.

Querida, he was so patient.
Did not me hate."


Kim starts to cry.
"Now, it was almost too late.

However, the scriptures give me hope
to again Paul here see. No longer in name only
his 'Stewart' to be." She wipes her eyes tenderly.

Picks up Sabrina's hand.

"Now I watch you
with your increasing anxiety

thinking I must tell you
what your Wayne's sadly
just revealed to me."
... TO BE CONT'D

Comments

Popular Posts