I'm a Mayfly . . . I Can't Deny





Patient I had to be.

I lived somewhat stagnant until time to mate.
Although in my hungry larva state
plants and organic waste, especially in the Mississippi River I loved to taste,

but give me high volumes of waste... O no, then I'll sadly suffocate!

My presence means a clean river or lake.
Human sewage doesn't let me live
to your earth actively participate.

And it's true
fish like trout do love to gobble me down
but it's not personal; not done as an act of hate.

When I disappear then you must fear
for fish feed on me throughout the year.
Though fly fishermen do not me cheer.

Fish prefer the 'Real McCoy'
rather than a fisherman's fake ploy.

But in my dead stage, as you'd deduce 
my group does cause a stench
necessitating a constant rinse
as your nose is assailed of a fish smell
recognized to some as due recompense.

However, humans should recognize the value my presence to their love of seafood does dispense... That is if they have been taught and exhibit good common sense.

A little more than an inch with bulging eyes
two pair of translucent vein-lined wings
two or three filamentlike tails
one day in May to September
into the sky I'll sail with a swarm
in joy to reproduce.

Dropping thousands of eggs onto a river below, as to you a plush lawn, I allow my progeny to settle upon a river healthy to grow.

As an adult mayfly without appetite
since now without mouth to pout or shout
I zip about happy to perform
a duty to make more mayflies born.

This is why I was created... don't become forlorn.

My service is to facilitate humans in their enjoyment of life.

I fly briefly. But, O My... you love my presence, yes?... Then do not stress.

Us mayflies flit about happy
to use our one day

in companionable bliss.

We die content. 

Who can ask for anything less
since not humans
were we blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts